If you have never stone-grilled your pizza you are missing out on an amazing (and amazingly easy) pizza! Friends, remember when I shared with you my Crazy Easy Homemade Bread? So many of you made it and got back to me on how shocked you were that A) it was so easy and B) it was so good! This is no different. This pizza dough is super easy to make and tastes delicious! The bestest (which is a word used to express something even better than best…believe me it is) part of this whole gig is that making personalized pizzas is super fun and interactive for everyone in the family. Simply mix ingredients, let dough rise, shape your little pie, customize your own pizza, and grill!
What You Need:
- Pizza stone
- 2 packets of instant yeast
- 1 1/3 cups hot water (between 105-115 degrees)
- 3 3/4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
Homemade Dough Directions:
- Using an electric mixer, combine yeast, four, salt and sugar.
- With mixer running on low speed slowly add water and oil.
- Combine about 2 minutes till dough is mixed and shapes into a clean ball.
- Place dough into a large oiled mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit and rise for at least an hour.
Making Your Personalized Stone-Grilled Pizza
- Place your stone 0n your cold grill and pre-heat your grill on medium flame for 20 minutes.
- Flatten dough and divide. This recipe is enough to make 6 small pies or 4 ten inch pies.
- Roll out and shape dough on a well floured surface.
- Sprinkle your hot stone with cornmeal & begin grilling your first pie (we will add toppings in a bit).
- Grill pie about 2 minutes on each side until lightly golden.
- Once all pies are grilled, head back to the kitchen and begin personalizing your pizzas. If the kids (and adults) in your family didn’t already have a fabulous time rolling out their dough, then this is where they will LOVE creating their own personalized masterpiece.
*SIDE NOTE* This is more like a secret than a side note…If you are short on time you can always pre-make your pizza pies. Once you have grilled your pies just set them aside on a vented cooling rack until you are ready to get to them. This is a great thing to do when you are hosting a larger party. You can also pre-make your pies and freeze them for a later date. Sooooo many options for such a fun event!
**EXTRA SIDE NOTE** I’ve got to tell you about this grill I have. It’s a Fire Magic! Would you have guessed that it’s 20 years old! 20 YEARS OLD, no joke!!!!! This baby was a wedding gift and it’s still kicking butt today! Mike and I have used the heck out of it. It has made its way through three house moves, from the west coast to the east coast, and it has weathered 7 snowy winters. It’s among some of the most expensive out there, but “you get what you pay for”. Really, it’s the best grill in the world! I’ve included some pictures of it below because you just HAVE to see this 20-year-old beauty!
Personalize Your Pizza
Don’t over-do the dressings on your pie. Loading up your pizza with tons of toppings can make it harder to cook all the way through, and plus, it’s just too hard to eat. :).
Besides your traditional toppings like, pizza sauce; pepperoni; mozzarella; mushrooms; olives and sausage, here are some other unique toppings to choose from:
- Pesto sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Fresh Basil
Return your personalized pizza, toppings and all, back to the stone and close the grill lid. Allow your pizza to cook at least an extra 2 more minutes, or until your sauce is hot and your cheese is melted.
Presto! You have just made the most perfect homemade stone-grilled pizza!